Tuesday, August 11, 2009

VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


i am so happy and relieved to report that both pieces are now finished. i really could cry with gratitude. this was so important to me!!! my angel of a private sewing instructor came through for me and let me stay overtime to get my tunic done. she didn't even let me pay for the extra time. i can't believe it's all done.

so all in all, i think I need a hell of a lot more practice, and a machine at home. But how amazing to create a piece of clothing that says 'me' all over it. This is going to take way more time than I anticipated, definitely, but I'm committing for the long haul.

I got 19/20 on my tunic and 18/20 on my skirt. Can you even believe it??? My teacher said she was impressed. I'm glad I stuck it out, through all those frustrating times when I just wanted to run to the bathroom and cry. I did that once, actually. It's not just a course for me - it's the first step towards a cherished dream and a small way for me to stick up for whispers of the soul in a harsh, uptight, judgmental world.

And I wore the tunic to work today and got a lot of compliments. It's like, exactly the kind of stuff I want to do - beautiful and colourful with a pronounced Indian influence, but still the kind of thing you can wear on a daily basis here in North America. Stuff I'd wear.

I can't even begin to describe the feeling of wearing something I made, that I love. I was kind of anxious this morning because well, I'm walking out of the house wearing something I made. But apparently it looks professional-quality, and nobody can notice the little mistakes that I know are there. Best of all, it suits me and reflects my inner self. I just feel like I'm stepping more into who I really am, in this tunic. Clothes are never just clothes, ok.

Sometimes, in life, amidst all the grief and daily frustrations and everything that doesn't work out the way you hoped, there's a little flash of light, and it can take you a long way. This is my own personal sunbeam, and I'm going to let it warm my life for as long as possible.

so that's the happy ending to my little saga. I'm definitely going to continue, and one day soon I will sew my own stuff without supervision!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment