Sunday, August 2, 2009

uphill climb

So I just got home from a sewing session with a private instructor (not the one I'm taking the course with). My skirt and top are due next Monday and the sewing lab at the college is closed for the long weekend. I don't have a machine at home.

The private sewing session cost an arm and a leg and I didn't get as much done as I wanted - the skirt still needs to be finished! I'm really second-guessing myself now and wondering if I really want to pursue this. I mean, it's a competitive industry, there are probably a million people who want to work in that particular niche, and it's an uphill struggle to get started. Just learning how to sew properly is a bitch. Am I crazy? Why am I doing this?

I had to wake up at 6 this morning and try to navigate my way to this woman's house. Being Sunday morning, the subway wasn't open and the key bus I had to take wasn't running until 8:30 - my appointment was at 8. Luckily I spied a cab waiting in front of some building at the intersection I was stuck at and only arrived fifteen minutes late. The whole time I'm like, "What the hell am I doing? This is so crazy," and considering going into Accounting or Nursing or even Teaching (the one thing I swore not to do) as I curse my life.

But you know what? Somehow the craziness and impracticality of it all make it that much more alluring to me. I'm a bit of a rebel, and hate to do what I'm told. I refuse to let this be just another idea. All of these obstacles make me want to prove to myself and everyone else with a mad dream that it can be done.

Is anyone even reading these? @#$@#!

1 comment:

  1. Girl, achieving the things in life we want, especially when the people in our lives don't get it...is difficult. The key is knowing what you want then taking the steps to achieve that goal. However, it doesn't mean that from knowing what's required the road is going to be an easy one. Infact, you will be tested repeatedly just to see how much you really want it! It's not about the obstacles it's about the going forward despite the obstacles...I think that's how success is obtained. SO MY DEAR...KEEP AT IT, do whatever u need to do in the meantime but make sure you have created a solid plan for urself, tell others because sometimes that creates opportunities. Thanks for sharing ur struggles, quite inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete